adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New eyes...

I asked Nor to write about her first week in Nigeria because she sees so many things that I miss now...

One week in Nigeria, and she wants me to write a blog entry!! Actually, I feel like I could write a book, except i'd probably drip on the pages (! its fairly warm here even in rainy season!!)
I've come to visit my little sister, and have spent a week wondering just when she got so brave, (I'll get the
compliments out of the way early on!!). What a journey Aine has taken, what an opportunity, what a mountain to climb!! Personally, its been brill - exciting and relaxing at the same time. But i have the huge advantage of being able to follow around after Aine like a small child ... i even told a man in a
motor park that i had no money, only ask my sister!!!! ;-) (he dropped me like a hot penny!! ...a penniless oyibo!??)
What is it like here ... well its very warm, but yet i'm getting no tan and it rains a lot! Its poor and very rich, its chaotic and yet everyone knows their place. Its totally different, and yet very like home. People are people wherever you go!
I remember driving into Minna and wondering if everything was a slum. (apologies to Minna!, my mistake) It seemed to be endless lines of shacks and old old buildings. I wondered in the first few days how Aine could have found shops and
internet cafes ... everything looked the same to me and i was confused by it all. Slowly i am coming to see past that point where everything seems to be equally 'different' and i am noticing colours, sounds and sights i'd missed on that first drive. Minna is a lovely town and i now enjoy the various markets, the beautiful Mosque, the many Christian churches and the stalls and shops i walk past every day. Minna was just as beautiful when i arrived, i just wasn't able to see that initially!!
So far, for me, Nigeria has been a land full of dust and rain and a million colours that should clash terribly, but instead make
you wonder why you never thought of wearing a dress in that pattern of green, orange and purple!!! Every corner of the street is filled withpeople who are talking and laughing, and everyone has something for sale - some fruit, some barbequed corn, some charge card... Under most stalls crawl or walk small patient children, who look startled into the blue eyes of a white woman. I suppose i must look like someone God forgot to colour in!! Children giggle and point and some even want to touch me ... but most are just entertained by the sight of not one but two of us!!!
The people of Minna have been very welcoming. People that i have met often seem to have very little, and yet would
give you what they had willingly. They are very proud to have Aine with them and make a huge deal of welcoming me as a family member of hers.
Every time she goes out without me she gets questioned as to my wellbeing!!!! Some of her collegues are calling tomorrow evening to greet us - so we wen into Abuja yeaterday to buy
decent meat (2 hours in a packed car each way!! .. more learning for the Paddy!) And, of course, we had to go shopping while we were there!!!
What have i done/experienced. I have taken public taxis, okadas (motorbikes) and just once been in a 'private
taxi'! I have learnt to work around having no NEPA
(electricity), no running or hot water, or no beer(not an absolute, can be got!!!;-) ). I have learnt
to wash my teeth in bottled water, to check my bed
for insects and not to
panic when NEPA is gone and i have to find my bed by the
lightof my phone!!! I have read whole books and watched DVDs - something i never have time to do at home. The dark circles under my stressed eyes are gone, to be replaced by
sweat stains under my arms !!!!!! .. and which is more progressive, i find myself wondering!!
And, I haven't even started travelling yet!!!
Imagine how many opinions i'll have then!!!!!!