adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Snapshots...

I travelled to Abuja last week - something I do quite often - but this time I travelled in relative luxury. There were only 3 of us in the back seat! So instead of spending the 2 hours staving off pins & needles I enjoyed the opportunity to appreciate the journey. Rainy season has arrived with a bang and the countryside is a wonderful mix of orange earth and long green grass - the growth is amazing here, the earth soaks up every inch of rain and grasses, flowers, trees grow overnight.
So every 3 minutes on a Nigerian road theres a picture-perfect image - 3 girls walking along a track with calabashes on their heads, a young man washing his clothes at the bend of the river, chubby goats feasting on the grass that is almost as tall as them, 5 tiny uniformed boys holding hands as they cross the road, 2 women laughing as they cook over an open fire... ordinary life thats extraordinarily beautiful.