adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Enterprise...

I love the ability of Nigerian businessmen to grasp an opportunity. Many people associate corruption with Nigeria but I have only seen this at higher levels (where money is available). On the whole access to money is extremely limited for the vast majority of the population...
... I needed to get a key cut before I came home and I had passed a sign for just that a couple of times. When I approached the sign it seemed to be pointing at a little shop but the key-cutter wasnt on seat. I was told to come back later. When I returned I thought the sign had disappeared, but on proper inspection I found that it had just been moved a few shops up. It now sat (more accurately) outside a little office. Upon entering the office (which was, like many Nigerian offices, entirely empty except for a table & chairs) I found a young boy dusting under the instruction of the shop-keeper.
So my key-cutting requirements were explained in an appropriate environment, and a business was re-established. There is a huge difference between grasping an opportunity and grasping wads of cash (that belong to someone else)...