adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Flippin' flashing...

Not sure if I'm just out of touch but has the phenomenon of flashing reached home yet?!? (don't mean dodgy geezers in trenchcoats...)
Flashing is calling someone's phone and allowing it to ring once or twice before hanging up. Its a greeting, and greeting is a serious business here in Nigeria. Flashing is an ingenious solution to those 'difficult-to-greet' moments. It's 7am on a Sunday morning and the person you wish to greet is asleep behind a locked door, no problem just flash them.
Its a wonderfully imprecise communication method that requires you to guess what the caller wants - to say hello, to call them back, to turn on the tv. A colleague flashed me late one evening recently and I took it as a greeting (I always take it as a greeting cos Im too cheap to call back someone whose too cheap to call me) . Anyway, turns out there was an interesting programme on tv and he flashed to check whether I was watching... think the radio waves were interfering with my physic abilities... or maybe its the lack of sleep-ins.