adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Friday, October 05, 2007

A bad year...


I think enough time has passed to laugh about this. I may be wrong. Turn away now if Croke Park is still a bit raw.
As Limerick managed to make it to the All-Ireland this year, I decided to put a bit of effort in myself and try to see the game. Not so easy here in Nigeria where hurling hasn’t really taken off just yet. Despite the help of a Scot, a diplomat and a priest I wasn’t able to locate a television in the country showing the game – but I was pointed toward the internet. So we descended on the house of a friend and hooked up to the internet with the plan to watch the game projected on a wall. Only it didn’t quite turn out like that. A bit of research on my part would have told me that you cant actually watch the game via the internet outside Ireland – you can only get written updates every few minutes on a matchtracker. But it turns out a Louth woman and her Micheal O twang creates a very convincing atmosphere!
Needless to say we didn’t miss much by not seeing the actual game. While we were setting up Nor was texting me the points. And it turned out that texting was a lot quicker than RTE’s internet typist and so we had 2 or 3 mins advance warning of the Limerick goal. That goal was properly cheered in Abuja if nowhere else.
Well done to Kilkenny - the better team won on the day. But we’ll be the better team next year.