adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Customer relations...

The day I was leaving for my Christmas holiday a NEPA (electricity) man turned up at my door. He said that he had heard I was going to travel and that I was lucky he met me first. I explained that my account is in credit and that it should be fine until I returned. But I was required to show him the receipt and then instructed to leave this receipt with my neighbours while I was away.
It seems that the onus is on the customer to prove that they have paid their NEPA bill, rather than on NEPA to ascertain that they havent. NEPA bills decorate public walls all the time so the NEPA men have no excuse to disconnect your house in your absence. I guess the reason that this continues is that the reconnection fees/donations are not conducive to a healthy system, and anyone with any influence has a generator.