adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Communication: an unfamilar concept...

My communication issues continue! This morning there was a stranger sitting in the teachers' staff room and when I introduced myself he told me he was the new maths teacher. Hmmm. My incredible deductive reasoning led me to ask the whereabouts of the old maths teacher, my colleague of 15 months. Turns out he has a new job lecturing and the first I hear about it was when I meet his replacement.
Now this has happened before. With the physics teacher. But I had only been around a couple of months then and figured it had slipped everyone's attention to tell me. But twice? No goodbye and no colleagues telling me the news (even when I ask for news as we sit around the tv for aaaaaages). Twice?
This inability of my colleagues (Nigerians in general really) to volunteer information is wearing a bit thin. You need to ask precisely the right question of the right person at a convienent time (and even then you are unlikely to get more than a yes or no answer). So I reckon my only option is to come to work each day equipped with a list of questions
  1. Has any member of staff left? (granted this is a bit vague but I reckon I could pick up on any odd vibes in the response)
  2. Will the centre be hosting a book fair today? (this may be a bit specific but Im scared think what else Imight not be told)
  3. Is there a public holiday tomorrow? (turned up to locked gates at work again on Monday although I had a incling & it was a pretty nice surprise)

This list has the potential to get very long indeed. My other option is to send all of my colleagues to ITB Library for a week on 'communication training'. To learn from the experts.