Weekend traveller...
I travelled last weekend, and as I had one or two things to do in Abuja I started out on Thursday. This meant arranging my meetings for Monday rather than the Thursday or Friday before. And so I was expecting 4 such meetings on my return on Monday – 2 librarians and 2 suppliers. But no one turned up.
Two wandered in on Tuesday failing to notice the difference. But the other 2 still hadn’t turned up by Thursday. So I called them, and both reacted in exactly the same way – “oh, you’re back?” But of course I was back; I have never not come back!
Travelling seems to be a long term commitment here in Nigeria – and “he has travelled” is sufficient to explain most absences. The notion of travelling 16 hours over 3 days doesn’t seem to sit well though. But then, the housewarming of the best hosts in Nigerian was well worth the journey :-)
Two wandered in on Tuesday failing to notice the difference. But the other 2 still hadn’t turned up by Thursday. So I called them, and both reacted in exactly the same way – “oh, you’re back?” But of course I was back; I have never not come back!
Travelling seems to be a long term commitment here in Nigeria – and “he has travelled” is sufficient to explain most absences. The notion of travelling 16 hours over 3 days doesn’t seem to sit well though. But then, the housewarming of the best hosts in Nigerian was well worth the journey :-)

<< Home