adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Noises...

One of my favourite noises in Nigeria is the gurgle of the toilet cistern. It means we have water. I can hear it in my sleep; I can abandon any conversation or meal to answer it. Strange Nigerian poetry.

Geckkos are a noisy bunch. In my early days in the house I spent a terrified hour listening as the burglary-proof on my windows rattled over and over in the dead of night. Only to discover that it was a geckko running up and down the grate. Proportionate to their size, they make a hell of a racket.

Was sitting in a car yesterday when I heard the most stupid ring tone ever – a baby crying. After about a minute of wishing the phone would be answered, I realised that there was a actually a child bawling behind me. Hmmm....