adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Hovering between worlds...

Being a VSO in Abuja can be a strange thing – living somewhere between the expat lifestyle and that of most Nigerians. VSOs may not get rich on their placements but we are very well-off compared to most of the population. So, I for one, live it up when I get to the city!
Comparing breakfasts: on Monday morning we had a very Nigerian meal of egg & bread. It is half a small loaf of bread sawn in two with a pepe omelette sandwiched in between. This is all prepared on a simple wooden table and open fire on the side of the street. Cost N80 plus N40 for a fanta. N120 total.
Then this morning I wanted to check out a new book shop in a pretty exclusive plaza, but it wasn’t opened by 9 so I had breakfast in style. A croissant and small juice box. N330 total.
It can be a bit disorienting having one step in each world, but the good news is that breakfast will set you up for the day in either…