adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Its all about perspective...

Children are so central to Nigerian life. Infants and toddlers often accompany their mother to work and become part of the day. And the workplace fills up with surrogate parents - male and female colleagues pass the child easily among themselves. Its a very different world. A colleague passed me an infant (the run-away-with-you Aiesha) in this manner today and when it came time to get on with some work I looked for a place to 'put' her - a cot or a chair - but there was none. Aiesha travels on her mother's back. She sits on just about anyone's knee gurgling away happily. She is completely integrated into this world. And she is blissfully happy.
It is hard for many of my colleagues and friends to understand that I am not married. I know 32 isn't exactly a spring chicken at home, but I still reckon its all in front of me. But friends have explained to others in my presence that 'she never married' (hushed tones usually reserved for death or serious illness). I didnt really get it until recently reading that the Nigerian life expectancy is 47 years. I am well into Nigerian middle age. I guess its all about perspective but I do wonder if Aiesha will get all that she deserves from this life.