adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Trouble being understood... still...

I still have trouble being understood. Even when I speak slowly, then loudly, then obnoxiously...
Mr Biggs is the Nigerian MacDonalds and today I decided to treat myself. There's a Mr Biggs in every town and so I was a little surprised when my okada driver didnt understand what I was saying.
I go Mr Biggs
Eh?
Mr Biggs
Eh?
Miiiisssteeeer Biiiigs
I no hear you well
Mr Biggs. Restaurant. You know - Miiiiissteer Biiiiigs
Eh?
Tunga, it is in Tunga
Okay

And then two minutes into our journey there is a huge guffaw from the front
Ookkkkaaaaaaaaaaay Mr Biggs (hahahahaha)...
I sound strange?
Yessss (hahahahahaha)
(hahahahahahahaha
hahahahahhahahaha
hahahahahahahahha)

I love this country - for every crap thing that happens you meet someone to brighten your day. On the way to Mr Biggs I was invited to bring my new friend to Oyiboland, no he doesnt mind the cold, but he hestitated alittle over the lack of yam and pepe... I love this country.