adventures in minna

a diary of life in minna, nigeria... and a way to keep tabs on me!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Getting lost in Kaduna...

I visited a couple of VSOs in Kaduna for the first time this weekend – it is a big city north-east of Minna, about 3 hours away. Another VSO lives 10 mins from the motor park but when I arrived MTN (my mobile phone service provider) was having one of its regular strops and I had no way of phoning him. So after awhile of hoping, in vain, that MTN would sort themselves out I realised I’d have to ask for help. I had no address but I knew that he works (and lives) at the school for the deaf. A lovely motor park attendant got me a taxi and I was in luck – the taxi driver knew where the school was. However after a 10 min drive it turned out there are two schools for the deaf in Kaduna! And, on realising I was looking for a fellow oyibo, my taxi driver piped up – oh no, he’s at the other school for the deaf. Patience isn’t a virtue but a bloody necessity in this country! But he got me to the correct place in one piece (30 mins older and 200N poorer!).